Location: Tennant Creek and the surrounding Barkly region
Job Title: Sport & Recreation – School based Apprenticeship
Salary: $43,347 - $46,286per annum
Generous salary packaging: $15,899.94p/a
Professional development incentive: Allowance of $1,300p/a
Employment Type: Full Time
Reports to: Sport & Recreation Section Manager
Employment conditions: Per AHAC Enterprise Agreement 2017 - 2020
Amazing further benefits including 6 weeks annual leave, free gym membership, free general dentistry and Remote retention allowance of $750!
Exciting opportunity for a full time School Based Apprenticeship with within our Sport & Recreation Section, based in Tennant Creek.
Join this community-based organisation and make a genuine difference to our community!
Commence an exciting first-time experience into the workplace where you will be skilled with the various duties required for operations of our Sport and Recreation Centre and encourage our community to engage with various sporting programs and promote a healthier lifestyles for our mob!
You will be joining a friendly and professional team, where you will receive personal and professional development opportunities from an employer who wants to provide optimum working conditions!
Anyinginyi Health Aboriginal Corporation (AHAC) is a multi-disciplinary organisation which provides primary health care services to the Aboriginal people of Tennant Creek and the surrounding Barkly region, dedicated to ‘Closing the Gap’ in Aboriginal health within remote Australia.
Anyinginyi consists of five different sections (Health Services, Business Services, Public Health Unit, Sports and Recreation, and Piliyintinji-Ki Stronger Families) which allow them to have a holistic approach to health ensuring that clients' physical and emotional health and wellbeing is given the utmost priority.
Anyinginyi's mission is to be a provider of high quality holistic primary health care services featuring prevention and treatment in the Barkly region in a culturally responsive way.
About the Tennant Creek region
Year round blue skies, stunning landscapes and vibrant, diverse and warm communities - that's life in the Northern Territory! Only a short flight from most Australian cities, Tennant Creek is not just a must-see destination renowned for its individual identity and rich cultural heritage but is a remarkable community to set up home in!
500km north of Alice Springs, Tennant Creek was once a rough and tumble droving town but is now a modern town and one of the Territory's most populated areas. It is home to a major regional hospital, a university, schools, shops and a supermarket, accommodation, bars, clubs and restaurants, banking facilities, sporting clubs and an airport - everything you need to set up a relaxing new lifestyle! People from all walks of life find themselves calling Tennant Creek home.
About the Role
Anyinginyi Health Aboriginal Corporation has an exciting opportunity for a full time School Based Apprentice to join their Wirlyarra Punjarlki Kapi Miripartijki – Sport and Recreation Section, here in Tennant Creek. This role is offered on a Full-Time basis covering school hours and normal Sport & Recreation working hours.
The Sport and Recreation – Apprentice will work under the supervision and guidance of the Section Manager. The Apprentice must also be aware and adhere to appropriate policies and procedures that are implemented to ensure protection, safety and welfare of all visitors with a particular emphasis on young people (person under 18 years).
More specifically, some of your duties will include (but will not be limited to):
- Read and sign off on S&R Procedures on how to carry out daily tasks.
- To support the Sports and Recreation Manager and Sports and Recreation Officers in fulfilling their duties required for operations of the Sports and Recreation Centre.
- Develop good, friendly working relations with all clients and be aware of culturally appropriate conduct regarding Aboriginal clients.
- Promote and reinforce the Centre theme of “Our Centre is a friendly and safe place for all those to enjoy themselves.”
- Assist with the facilitating of the after school activities program and plan appropriately
- Assist with maintaining and cleaning of gym equipment
- Assist with developing, planning and facilitating social sports
- Ensuring that sport and rec areas are clean before and after activities and/or programs
- Process application forms and assist in maintaining and monitoring records – including memberships, expiries, cancellations, customer complaints and current events.
- Cash handling and customer service as requested.
To be successful in this role, you must be attending the Tennant Creek High School, either in grades 10, 11 or 12 and as this is an Aboriginal Identified position you must be of Aboriginal or Torres Straight Islander Descent.
Please note: An Ochre Card (NT Working with Children’s card) obtainment is a requirement prior to commencement in this role. Please refer to NT Safe for further information.
You will also need to possess the following:
Essential skills and experience:
- Ability or willingness to assist with S&R programs.
- Ability or willingness to work with minimal supervision, maintain lines of accountability, set work priorities and meet deadlines.
- Ability or willingness to communicate effectively with all visitors to S&R Section.
- Demonstrated ability or willingness to network and liaise with a range of clients and other service providers.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of regional Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander societies and cultures.
- Able to abide by working within a roster system and specified duties.
- Demonstrated ability to working with children and youth with sport and recreation activities
- Demonstrated or willingness to work with cash handling and point of sale software’s
If you meet the above criteria and you’re interested in contributing to an organisation where you can really make a difference in our local community, we want to hear from you!
We are not asking for a resume from you. Simply complete the application process by clicking the Apply Now button and we’ll be in touch.
No recruitment agencies please