- Location: Tennant Creek and the surrounding Barkly region
- Job Title: Female Counsellor
- Classification: Programs
- Salary: $90,657 - $106369per annum + superannuation.
- Generous salary packaging: $15,899.94p/a
- Professional development incentive: Allowance of $1,300p/a
- Employment Type: Full Time
- Reports to: Executive Manager Piliyintinji-ki – Stronger Families
- Amazing further benefits including: 6 weeks annual leave, free general dentistry, Remote Retention Allowance of $750 and Relocation Assistance up to $5,000 to help you get settled into town!
Exciting opportunity for a full time Counsellor (Female Identified) to join our Piliyintinji-ki Stronger Families program, based in Tennant Creek.
Join this community-based organisation and make a genuine difference to our community!
Anyinginyi Health Aboriginal Corporation (AHAC) is a multi-disciplinary organisation which provides primary health care services to the Aboriginal people of Tennant Creek and the surrounding Barkly region, dedicated to ‘Closing the Gap’ in Aboriginal health within remote Australia.
Anyinginyi consists of four different sections (Health Services, Business Services, Public Health Unit and Piliyintinji-Ki Stronger Families) which allow them to have a holistic approach to health ensuring that clients' physical and emotional health and wellbeing is given the utmost priority.
Anyinginyi's mission is to be a provider of high quality holistic primary health care services featuring prevention and treatment in the Barkly region in a culturally responsive way.
About the Tennant Creek Region
Year-round blue skies, stunning landscapes and vibrant, diverse and warm communities - that's life in the Northern Territory! Only a short flight from most Australian cities, Tennant Creek is not just a must-see destination renowned for its individual identity and rich cultural heritage but is a remarkable community to set up home in!
As a small regional centre, Tennant Creek does not have the facilities one would find in larger country towns like Katherine or Alice Springs however it does provide for all the basics that most people require. There is a supermarket similar to a large IGA store, Post Office, clothing and furniture stores, Pharmacy, Newsagent, two banks (ANZ & Westpac), restaurants and coffee shops, four hotels/motels, and a delicatessen. It also has sporting facilities (e.g. swimming pool, basketball courts, tennis court, football ground, car racing track), and several tourists attractions within easy reach Like our Beautiful Lake Mary Ann!
About the Role
Anyinginyi Health Aboriginal Corporation has an exciting opportunity for a full time Female Counsellor to join their Piliyintinji-ki Stronger Families program, based in Tennant Creek. This role is offered on a Full Time basis.
Piliyintinji-ki Stronger Families (PSF) provides culturally appropriate services for men, women and families. Piliyintinji-Ki is Waramungu for "to make something better, to cure or make something good". PSF works in partnership with other Link Up Services, Central Australia Stolen Generations, CAAC etc. in areas such as Family Violence and Intensive Family Support Services.
This pivotal role, will be responsible for addressing the social and emotional wellbeing needs of the community. This will involve providing support, counselling and case management for individuals and their families with a team approach to facilitate the healing process for the community.
More specifically, some of your duties will include but not be limited to:
- Providing counselling services to Aboriginal individuals and families suffering with family violence and associated issues;
- Liaising with other agencies in a case management role, and visiting and liaising with Aboriginal Agencies and Community Development Projects;
- Providing presentations, community education and promoting AHAC as required; and
- Ensuring all client information is recorded and available for reporting periods.
To be successful in this position, you must possess exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, with demonstrated experience in engaging with clients and writing documentation and reports.
Knowledge of networks, including organisations and government departments related to working in this field, would be advantageous.
Whilst not required, previous experience working in a remote area or within a community health care organisation will be highly regarded.
You will also need to possess the following:
Essential skills and experience:
- A high level of counselling and case management skills
- An understanding and respect of the past practices and current issues that impact on the health and wellbeing of Aboriginal people
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to deliver a strengths-based service incorporating narrative, cognitive, solution-focused and community development approaches to vulnerable individuals and families
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to effectively liaise with key stakeholders and build strong relationships
- Ability to collect, analyse and maintain client data
- High level skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office applications including the ability to use client information management systems.
- All Anyinginyi Health Aboriginal Corporation employees must be Fully Vaccinated against COVID-19.
Qualifications, Licences and Certifications:
- Tertiary qualification in Social Work, Counselling or related human services discipline
- Registration with an appropriate authorised practicing governance body in Australia (eg AHPRA), and have a current practicing certificate
- A current Northern Territory Driver’s Licence or ability to obtain one
- Be in possession of (or have the ability to apply for) a National Police Clearance
- Be in possession of (or have the ability to apply for) an OCHRE Card
- Have the right to live and work in Australia
If you meet the above criteria and you’re interested in contributing to an organisation where you can really make a difference in our local community, we want to hear from you!
No recruitment agencies please